It’s May Day and the start of a brand-new #WriteMotivation month check, so let’s talk goals, shall we?
- Finish polish on PD and start querying. At the end of April, I finished up the revisions that needed to happen on PD and printed it out for The Man to do his read through. I also sent it off to Leigh Caroline, Lady Jai, and K.T. Hanna for any feedback they have, but essentially, it’s getting close. Very close. And I’m ready to let it go and see if it flies or sinks. I have a (color-coded!) spreadsheet of agents to approach and a mental note of where my rejection limit is.
- Begin outline of new WIP. Like I said above, I’ve just about reached my limit on tinkering with PD. I want a new project, new characters, new world, and I think I’ve picked one. It’s going to require a lot of front-end work since it’s going to be a kind of steampunk space opera exploration, so it may take a bit to get off the ground.
- Post at least four updates on The Man’s and my personal blog. The wedding invites went out this week, which means that soon friends and family will be actually *visiting* the website that The Man and I have set up. And since there is currently only one post on our blog from the end of March, I’d like to get a few more up and going.
- Enter The Writers Voice contest and don’t die. On Thursday, I’m going to submit to The Writers Voice contest that is being put on by Brenda Drake, Krista Van Dolzer, CupidsLC, and Monica B.W. I think when it comes down to it, I really just can’t resist any contest that Brenda helps put on. And this one should definitely be interesting. About 150 people submitting their query + the first 250 words. Actually, according to contest rules, I will be posting them here, so ya’ll can see them. And then the four judges will go through the submissions and each pick 10 by May 10th that they want on their team. Those 40 entries will be posted for 8 agents to review and bid on May 21st. It could be a short contest for me if none of the judges pick my entry, but hey, why not, right? 🙂 It should be fun in any case – to watch and to play – so I for one will be cruising #TheWritersVoice hashtag.
- Launch copy editing services page. This one was inspired by Bonnie Rae. We’ve been emailing about me helping her on the Nether Bound sequel when it comes time for it to be proofread/copy edited. I’ve got about six years in the field, and it occurred to me that people who are looking to put professional work out there and aren’t confident about their grammar/punctuation knowledge could benefit from my services in this area.
Revamp blogFinish crits. So I kind of couldn’t wait and already revamped the look/feel of my blog. The other one was pretty, but a little too fussy. I like the cleaner look of this one, and it’s a little more responsive design-wise. So I’m replacing it with the crits that I need to do. I’m excited to dive into one I got last week – hopefully I can get it back to her fast enough to help her keep on track with her own goals.
And that’s pretty much it. I’m going to run around tonight and add the #writemotivation Twitter peoples and blogs to my feeds and am going to try to be REALLY good about commenting and not just reading. I’ve been even bad about responding to comments on my own blog the past few weeks, so that needs to change.
How is everyone looking out there?