Well…I didn’t exactly make it to the end with #writemotivation this month. After the rough spot in the middle, I couldn’t get back on track with the posts and keeping up with all of your guys’ check-ins. I’m very sorry about that, but I did get to quite a few of you here at the end and it looks like it was a fairly successful month for many of you.
I didn’t do too bad, considering:
- Finish plotting and start drafting Code Title: BIG BEN. I’ve got names and backstories for a lot of the main characters, including the leader of the crew of thieves, and the main structure of the plot is coming into focus. I didn’t get start drafting, but that’s okay. You guys, I am excited about this story and also seriously nervous. My next two WIP ideas are just kind of on another level that make me nervous that I can’t pull them off. Which is why I’ve started printing off Chuck Wendig’s penmonkey advice – like, for example, his post today about caring less. A sample, you say? How about this shizzle:
You free yourself by caring less. By dumping the dueling goblins of Fear and Expectation out the back of a C-130 and into the mouth of an open and active volcano named Mount Don’t-Give-A-Shit.
Now go read the rest!
- Finish all remaining crits.
- Brainstorm potential alternate beginnings and/or other revisions to PD. Have I mentioned how much I love The Man? I do. He’s super-creative and an avid reader and my best critic, and he’s starting to read through PD. A week or so ago, he came upstairs where I was cooking and went, “What if you did such-and-such.” And I went, “YES, I LOVE IT!” He’s awesome like that. I’m not doing anything until he’s finished his critique, though, and then I will apply said revisions
- Repurposing old fanfic.
For August, my goals look fairly similar:
- Plot BIG BEN and start drafting.
- Collect critique of PD mid-month and start on revisions.
- Get back on track with the blogging I’ve let slide these past couple of weeks.
That should probably fill up any time that isn’t working, exercising, wedding planning, etc. Under the three-month mark for W-Day, which means that I’m starting to get all the questions and fiddly bits are popping up to deal with. I’m trying to breathe through it and remind myself that the important part is that we both show up and are, y’know, legally married and shit by the end of the day.
Coming up on the blog this month…
- Everything I Know About Writing I Learned From Buffy (tomorrow)
- An up-and-coming author spotlight
- A review of Whispers in Autumn
- A peek into my writing past
- Anything else that catches my opinionated eye. I’m Catwoman, okay? I’m adaptable.
Three cheers for August and, hopefully, an early and rainy autumn because I am just not meant for heat like this.